- 1 kilo top round or sirloin beef, sliced and flattened
- 1 chorizo de Bilbao, sliced into strips
- 1 large carrot, sliced lengthwise into strips
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 whole sweet pickle, cut into strips
- 1 hardboiled egg, quartered
- 1 pork sausage or frankfurter, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup calamansi juice
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef broth
- Pound beef gently to flatten with a mallet or flat side of a cleaver. Put in a bowl or plastic bag with the marinade. Let stand for 2 hours or overnight.
- Remove beef from the marinade and lay out in a flat surface. Arrange the ingredients on top and roll up jelly roll fashion. Tie securely with string.
- In a large pan heat cooking oil and brown meat on all sides. Remove excess oil, add the marinade and enough water to cover the morcon.
- Simmer over low fire till tender for about 2 hours. When tender remove from broth and cool. Discard string before slicing.
- In another pan, sauté garlic, onions and tomatoes. Add tomato sauce, bay leaf and broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Thicken with breadfruits, season with salt and pepper. Pour sauce over morcon. 8 portions